I hold a PhD in Plant Ecology from the Department of Biology, University of Bergen (2009). I currently work at the Department of Biological Sciences and in 2017 I was appointed UNESCO Chair on Sustainable Heritage and Environmental Management – Nature and Culture.
My research focuses on the dynamics in coupled human and natural systems, including sustainable development, natural resource management, agro-biodiversity, sustainable land use, ecosystem services, agroecology, and food security. I work with colleagues across the social and natural sciences to elucidate links between anthropogenic activities and the environment, in Europe, as well as in Asia, North-America and Africa. I seek to gain multifaceted knowledge within ecology and associated disciplines to investigate social-ecological complexities. In addition to a PhD in ecology I have completed a minor in Social Anthropology, and the cross-disciplinary courses Ecology and Development and Resource Management and Environmental Conservation.
As the UNESCO Chair at UiB, I’m currently working on the establishment of Norway’s first Biosphere Area – Nordhordland Biosphere Area – under UNESCO’s Man and The Biosphere-programme.
I work mostly in cross-disciplinary projects, and have taken part in several collaborative multidisciplinary research and education activities:
- Scientific coordinator for the Nile Basin Research Programme 2009 (www.nile.uib.no) – working group on Biodiversity and Land Use Change, Uni Research.
- Scientific coordinator of Bergen Summer Research School 2013 (www.uib.no/rs/bsrs) – organizing PhD courses on Food as a Global Development Challenge for 70 students, UiB Global.
- Lecturer and supervisor on the NOMA (NOrad MAster) Programme 2010-2014, Regional Master Program in Biodiversity and Environmental Management, lectured three cohorts and supervised 6 Master students.
- Member of the Norwegian Scientific Committee for Food and Environment (VKM) (2015 – p.d.)
- UNESCO Chair on Sustainable Heritage and Environmental Management – Nature and Culture, appointed by UNESCO 1st Feb 2017