Open lecture “Sustainability and resilience in social-ecological systems” by Inger Måren
This lecture is aimed at the upcoming diploma students as preparation, but is of course open to all interested.
Inger Måren, Associate Professor UiB, UNESCO Chair on Sustainable Heritage and Environmental Management
BIO: I hold a PhD in Plant Ecology from the Department of Biology, University of Bergen (2009). I currently work at the Department of Biological Sciences and in 2017 I was appointed UNESCO Chair on Sustainable Heritage and Environmental Management – Nature and Culture.
My research focuses on the dynamics in coupled human and natural systems, including sustainable development, natural resource management, agro-biodiversity, sustainable land use, ecosystem services, agroecology, and food security. I work with colleagues across the social and natural sciences to elucidate links between anthropogenic activities and the environment, in Europe, as well as in Asia, North-America and Africa. I seek to gain multifaceted knowledge within ecology and associated disciplines to investigate social-ecological complexities. In addition to a PhD in ecology I have completed a minor in Social Anthropology, and the cross-disciplinary courses Ecology and Development and Resource Management and Environmental Conservation.
As the UNESCO Chair at UiB, I’m currently working on the establishment of Norway’s first Biosphere Area – Nordhordland Biosphere Area – under UNESCO’s Man and The Biosphere-programme.
I work mostly in cross-disciplinary projects, and have taken part in several collaborative multidisciplinary research and education activities:
- Scientific coordinator for the Nile Basin Research Programme 2009 (www.nile.uib.no) – working group on Biodiversity and Land Use Change, Uni Research.
- Scientific coordinator of Bergen Summer Research School 2013 (www.uib.no/rs/bsrs) – organizing PhD courses on Food as a Global Development Challenge for 70 students, UiB Global.
- Lecturer and supervisor on the NOMA (NOrad MAster) Programme 2010-2014, Regional Master Program in Biodiversity and Environmental Management, lectured three cohorts and supervised 6 Master students.
- Member of the Norwegian Scientific Committee for Food and Environment (VKM) (2015 – p.d.)
- UNESCO Chair on Sustainable Heritage and Environmental Management – Nature and Culture, appointed by UNESCO 1st Feb 2017